Saturday, 02 April 2011

April is no FOOL


So “April’s Fool” came early to our household this year as I decided to prank my housemate the evening before. I had the perfect opportunity, coming home after dinner from the ‘parentals’, to a dead silent and dark home with my housemate safely locked up in her bedroom.

I very quickly put my dog to bed in my bedroom, the only other living thing in the household that could possibly let my mischievous plan fall apart by letting my housemate know I am home.  I then very subtly let the darkened home come alive with noises...as we have reason to believe our house is haunted.

It took a while but not much later my phone received its first message asking if I am home yet, to which I politely replied that I decided to go out for drinks with a friend after dinner. I waited a while. . . .and then I proceeded up the wooden staircase which is located directly next and up above her bedroom, ensuring to make each footstep count.

My friends thought it was very cruel of me to do this to an already paranoid housemate which is a bit fearful when having to stay home alone by herself, but it was just the week before that she tried to pull a fast one on me trying to convince me that the very friendly spirit that occupies our home has developed a bit of an evil streak in him.  Unfortunately for her she wasn’t able to convince my already sceptic nature due to the lack of attention to detail, so I saw this as an excellent opportunity to educate her some. . .yes people, payback really is a bitch.

The messages on my phone continued as I proceeded walking lopsided down the stairs again (for added effect) and all around the house.  Our conversation continued very light heartedly, mocking and blaming our ghost and having a good chuckle towards her ‘paranoia’ she was experiencing, up until my foot tapped against her bedroom door. . . 

From her next message you could clearly see that she was convinced there was someone else in the house and her message ended with ‘PLEASE CALL ME’.  I made my way back up the stairs where I could safely make a call without her knowing I am in the house. . . I could hear the girl was a bit terrified and trying to be both sincere and not to burst out laughing, I tried to convince her that she is probably just imagining things.  I wanted to calm her enough down so she would have the nerve to leave her room so we could have the grand finale with a very big fright, but that was clearly not going to happen so in order to buy me some more time I said I would phone a friend nearby and ask him to come and check up on her.
 
After ending our call I noticed I had a missed call from her parents as well and knowing them they were probably just as freaked out as their daughter. So I thought if she had already contacted them as well, I should probably not stretch this out much longer. I went down the stairs again, this time as fast and as loud as possible (just to get one last kick out of all this) and went to her bedroom door. I could hear the poor soul was on the phone to someone and had locked herself in her en-suite bathroom. I knocked but had no response and interrupted her current call with a call from me and told her to come to her bedroom door.

She opened the door with somewhat tearful eyes and exclaimed some profanity towards me with a shaky voice. But this is NOT where the April Fool joke ends. . . for at the end of it all I was the fool. In the very short space of time between my foot knocking on her door and my admittance to being in the house all along, her parents had already gotten hold of the police; our landlord and local security. My housemate had also gotten hold of a friend or two who were already on their way.

So I was the fool that ended up having to deal with the police rocking up at our house. . .
I was the fool who had to explain to our beloved friends who were already on their way that everything is ok. . .
I felt like a fool the next morning when we had to deal with our concerned body corporate after hearing that someone tried to break into our home the previous night. . .

So I guess pranking someone the eve before ‘April Fools’ is not a good idea, rather wait for the actual day to arrive.  I of course did no such thing the next day... with the police and what not rocking up at our house the previous night, I am clearly just too good-a-pranker for this shit...


3 comments:

  1. very gripping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i was the pranker, i would definately watch my back, this one for sure is gonna return the favour at some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEBO - so that pranker got what he was not expected!!!! watch out will be there sometime and you will get it!!

    ReplyDelete